Powered By Blogger

Your Freshness is in full Effect

Your Freshness is in full Effect

Search This Blog

Check em out! My sources

Monday, June 28, 2010

Abused Punchlines: "I fill her up...ballons"/"it's going down... basement"

Interesting interview with all hip hop, where Drake was asked about overuse of punchline flow.
Here is the question:

AHH:"How much do Young Money artists bounce off each other? I noticed you have similar inflections and cadences or rhyme patterns. I noticed this one thing that Nicki said, “It’s going down. Basement.”

 DRAKE: Well, that flow has been killed by so many rappers. And, I never want to use that flow again in life. [Laughs] I wanted to take if off my album, because I was like, “I shut ‘em down. Onyx.” I hate the fact that that rhyme is still in there. To be honest, that flow, you can trace it back to like…I trace it back to Big Sean (artist on Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music). That’s the first guy I heard utilize that flow throughout the duration of a verse. I’ll give him that credit. I think Kanye got it from him. Me and Wayne found a dope way to do it. I don’t want to sound cocky, but the best way its been used was on “Forever.” Those lines just all individually make so much sense. They’re all punchlines. Then a bunch of rappers started doing it and using the most terrible references in the world. I don’t want to offend somebody…I hate that rappers picked that flow up. I wish they had left that for people that know how to use it. [They go like] “It’s a parade! MACY’S!”

Kanye didn't get it from Big Sean; Remember Good Morning "You got D'S mufucka D'S, Rosie Perez"
Good Life "Haters give me them salty looks...lawry's  and "Yall pop the trunk, I pop the hood...Ferrari

Big Sean is prolly the best I've heard, on "Supa Dupa" where the whole song except for the hook were punchlines that were pretty d0P3.

Read these comments from 2dopeboyz.com on this issue, listen to the fan made ones.
"i spit flames....fireplace", i beat it down……..Chris Brown, Wont Catch Me Slippin & Rob Me.. Yung Berg, I’ll throw a rock at a fella…Hov, I got the whole shit covered....Derelle Revis, ill turn u blue…..AVATAR. My Pockets On Swole.. Rasputia, DAMN! I LOST MY SOURCE….Benzino

Best from a rapper: "I got her ni**a....grocery bag" (get the fu*k out of here) 

No comments: